Sunday, March 11, 2012

Texas day

Here in Texas, things are a little different when it comes to school. Each morning at school the kids will recite the pledge, then they will recite the Texas pledge. In some schools, the Texas pledge will be recited first. The kids will learn about the Texas flag. You will walk into a store and they will be able to point to a Texas flag and tell you that it is a Texas flag, but when you point to a USA flag, they will not be able to tell you that it is our country flag. Disturbing....They are pretty sure that the state of Texas is more important than our country. So, in honor of Texas' birthday, Macie had a little sing along concert at school, where they roamed the halls and waved some flags and then ended in the cafeteria to sing us some songs. At least the flags that they waved were our country flag.
Walking through the hallways.

1 comment:

MetroParks said...

I have several siblings that live or have lived in Texas. I thought it was interesting when I learned that the state constitution says that they are their own country and can leave at anytime without consequence. They are the only state that can fly their flag at the same level as the U.S. flag and you can find ANYTHING in the shape of the state. My friends 5th grader got suspended when they first moved there from Wyoming because he wouldn't say the Texas pledge because he felt that he was from Wyoming. I hear that there are soooo many amazing things about Texas but I always found these things interesting ;-) By the way Camden is gorgeous and looks a lot like Macie to me. Congrats on your sweet baby boy!